Why Bother with Flossing?

Posted .

It’s like the question you dread every time you visit our team at Barton Oaks Dental Group – have you been flossing regularly?

Studies show that only four in ten Americans regularly floss their teeth (once a day). Much more simply never floss in the first place. It’s easy to claim that it takes too much time to floss, but the truth is flossing is a quick, easy, and very important cleaning technique you need to include in your oral health regimen.

Why floss?

When you brush your teeth, you only clean about 65% of a tooth’s surface. That leaves 35% of the tooth uncleaned. Plaque buildup, cavities, and even gum disease can result from never thoroughly cleaning your teeth. Leaving 35% of your teeth’s surface uncleaned is almost asking for problems to arise.

It removes food

Food particles and other debris easily get stuck between your teeth. If you don’t remove this debris from between your teeth, they can erode the enamel and cause cavities. Flossing daily ensures that your teeth aren’t going to develop a cavity from any trapped particles of food.

Flossing only takes a few extra minutes each day and it’s easily accomplished before bed. Doing so ensures that your gums stay healthy, your teeth don’t develop, and your overall health stays in the best shape possible.

If you have any questions, call us today at 512-327-6947.